Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mike and Colin climbing the Pfieferhorn (Little Matterhorn)

I'm getting better at posting, but I didn't put these pictures up chronologically and I'm too lazy to fix it. In fact, these pictures are in reverse chronological order, so this is on the way down. This is me sliding down the bowl above Red Pines Lake. Mike would throw boulders off the top of the mountain to try and trigger these mini avalanches. Eventually we decided to ride these avalanches down the bowl ... it was pretty much the coolest thing ever. The snow would make this 'sluffing' noise as it broke loose from the steep slope and slide down the bowl like a river.
I wish I had a better camera than just the one on my phone. This is the view looking south from the top of Mt. Pfieferhorn. The peak in the back left is Mt. Timpanogos.
Mike perched on the edge of the summit. Lone Peak is in the distance. The valley to the left is Lehi.
I'm pretty sure we were the first people to summit for the season. If you notice, there are no footsteps in front of me. The peak in the background is the Pfieferhorn. It's an optical illusion, because it doesn't really look all that big ... but it was huge.
Mike was the trailblazer for most of the ascent ... what a badass.
It was clear weather when we started hiking, we saw a storm roll in as we made our way above the lakes. It snowed on us pretty lightly.

2 comments:

  1. Seems like a tough climb, how many sherpas did you guys lose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We only took one, and I ate him. It was a waste though, cause I wasn't really that hungry.

    ReplyDelete